Transition Town Letchworth have signed up with Surfers Against Sewage (SAS) as the Plastic Free Community Leader for Letchworth.
We plan to work through the Plastic Free Coastlines Community Toolkit which is now being used by towns across the nation. The toolkit sets out the following five objectives that must be met to achieve Plastic Free status for Letchworth.
1) LOCAL GOVERNANCE: Local Council passes a resolution to support Plastic Free Coastlines, committing to plastic free alternatives and supporting plastic free initiatives in Letchworth.
2) LOCAL BUSINESSES: At least three single-use plastic items removed from at least 12 local businesses and retailers and replaced with sustainable alternatives.
3) PLASTIC FREE ALLIES: Gain widespread community support by spreading the Plastic Free message to groups that look after 50% of community spaces (e.g. Norton Common, community centres, halls, places of worship, libraries), 30% of schools and at least one community organisation (e.g. Scouts, Girl Guides, Women’s Institute).
4) ON THE GROUND ACTION: Arrange at least two local community events in a year, for example a litter clearance, which are open for all to attend.
5) STRATEGIC GROUP: Form a local group of stakeholders (which must include a council member) who should meet at least once per year to plan and discuss the progress of Plastic Free Letchworth.
Contact us us if you want to get involved.
Let us know what you are doing to reduce your use of plastics that others can learn from and we will share these ideas as part of this initiative. If you are a local business please can you take a few minutes to complete our questionnaire, to share your opinions and ideas on how we can reduce the use of plastics locally.
Letchworth Festival – June 2018
As part of the Letchworth Festival Transition Town Letchworth are sponsoring the children’s art competition which has the theme ‘Plastic Free Letchworth’. Click here to find out how your school or youth group can take part.
There will also be a screening of A Plastic Ocean at the Broadway Cinema on June 19th at 7:45pm. Click here to book your tickets.
PLASTIC FREE LETCHWORTH RELATED BLOG POSTS